The Musical Shape of the Liturgy:
Celebrating the Life and Work of William P. Mahrt
November 7–9, 2023
St. Patrick’s Seminary, Menlo Park, California
The Catholic Institute of Sacred Music at St. Patrick’s Seminary
The Church Music Association of America
The Music Department of Stanford University
The St. Ann Choir
The Benedict XVI Institute for Sacred Music and Divine Worship
Registration deadline: Monday, October 16th
About the Conference
Nearly forty scholars will gather to present keynote lectures, papers, and recitals on the conference theme.
We invite fellow scholars, practitioners of sacred music, and the general public to join us for this two-and-a-half-day conference.
The conference will be preceded by an opportunity in the morning and afternoon of Tuesday, November 7th to join the St. Ann choir as it rehearses under the direction of Dr. Mahrt and friends in preparing to sing Gregorian chant and polyphony for the conference’s celebration of Solemn Vespers and Solemn Mass.
Several meals are included in the conference registration fee ($225).
Several affordable housing options are presented as a courtesy for registrants to reserve on their own.
Having devoted his life and scholarly activity to the study and praxis of the Roman rite and its music, the work of Dr. William Mahrt has become a touchstone for countless scholars and active church musicians. Professor Mahrt’s insights into the characteristics of the various forms of Gregorian chant have elucidated the nature of the chant as integral to the sacred liturgy, and even explicated the nature of the sacred liturgy itself. Too, his exposition of the nature of beauty and its embodiment in Catholic sacred music, liturgical gestures and symbols, and architecture has served as an important guide in the Church’s understanding of the purpose of artistic beauty in Divine worship. His work with the polyphonic masters of the Renaissance has illuminated the performances and scholarship of many choirs and students, and his devoted direction of the St. Ann Choir and Stanford Early Music Singers remains a pillar in the practice of sacred music in the United States.
On the occasion of the 150th volume of Sacred Music, which Dr. Mahrt has edited since 2006, upon the establishment of a new chair in sacred music at St. Patrick’s Seminary in Menlo Park in his name, and on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the founding of St. Patrick’s Seminary, the organizing committee announces a conference entitled “The Musical Shape of the Liturgy: Celebrating the Life and Work of William P. Mahrt.”
This two-and-a-half-day conference will feature:
- Keynote addresses (William Mahrt, Joseph Dyer, Kerry McCarthy, Sr. Maria Kiely, O.S.B.)
- Over 30 papers, lecture recitals, and panel discussions on topics related to the conference theme
- Masses and the sung Divine Office led by the St. Ann Choir + Singer Friends and the Schola Cantorum of St. Patrick’s Seminary
- Opportunities for informal discussions over included receptions and lunches on November 7, 8, and 9
- Banquet on the evening of November 8
Pre-Conference – Sing with the St. Ann Choir!
- Singers are invited to join Dr. Mahrt and friends as they prepare music for Vespers on Tuesday, Nov. 7th and Mass on Wednesday, Nov. 8th. Rehearsals will be held in the morning and afternoon on Tuesday, Nov. 7th. Singers must be available for the rehearsals and liturgies in order to participate. To sign up, select the “Full Conference + Sing with St. Ann Choir” registration option on the registration page. Led by Dr. Mahrt and a team of other conductors (Horst Buchholz, Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka, and David Hughes), singers will prepare the chants of the liturgies, as well as the Byrd Mass for Four and motets by Ciprianus (Sicut Cervus), Isaac (Beata Viscera), and De la Rue (O Salutaris).
The conference language is English.
Presenters must register for the conference ($225, including the banquet) and will be responsible for their own expenses.
Questions regarding the conference may be directed to Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka via email: email@example.com.
|Tuesday, November 7, 2023|
|8:00 a.m.||Coffee for St. Ann Choir + Singer Friends|
|9:00 a.m.||Rehearsal of St. Ann Choir + Singer Friends|
|11:00 a.m.||Rehearsal of St. Ann Choir + Singer Friends|
|12:00 p.m.||Lunch for St. Ann Choir + Singer Friends|
|1:00 p.m.||Rehearsal of St. Ann Choir + Singer Friends|
|3:30 p.m.||Registration Check-in for Main Conference Begins|
|4:30 p.m.||Solemn Vespers|
|5:45 p.m.||Keynote – Dr. Kerry McCarthy|
|Wednesday, November 8th, 2023|
|8:00 a.m.||Late Registration|
|8:15 a.m.||Sung Lauds|
|9:00 a.m.||Keynote – Dr. Joseph Dyer|
|10:15 a.m.||Conference Sessions 1a, 1b, and 1c (some 30 minutes, some 60minutes)|
|10:45 a.m.||Rehearsal of St. Ann Choir + Singer Friends|
|11:30 a.m.||Solemn Mass|
|2:00 p.m.||Conference Sessions 2a, 2b, and 2c|
|3:30 p.m.||Keynote – Sr. Maria Kiely, O.S.B.|
|5:00 p.m.||Conference Sessions 3a, 3b, and 3c|
|6:15 p.m.||Sung Vespers|
|Thursday, November 9th, 2023|
|8:15 a.m.||Sung Lauds|
|9:00 a.m.||Conference Sessions 4a, 4b, and 4c|
|10:15 a.m.||Conference Sessions 5a, 5b, and 5c|
|11:30 a.m.||Solemn Mass|
|2:00 p.m.||Keynote – Dr. William Mahrt|
|3:30 p.m.||Conference Sessions 6a, 6b, and 6c|
|4:30||Conference Sessions 7a, 7b, and 7c|
Keynote Speakers & Topics
Dr. Joseph Dyer – “De Hierusalem exeunt reliquiae – Music for the Dedication of the Church of Santa Prassede (Rome)”
Sr. Maria Kiely, O.S.B. – “O quam metuendus est locus iste (Gen. 28:17): the Spiritual Foundations of Liturgical Prayer”
Dr. William Mahrt – “Dynamic Parallelismus Membrorum”
Dr. Kerry McCarthy – “Low Style and High Style in Catholic England”
Conference Sessions & Presenters